- Discuss how reading online may present different challenges for students. Think of ways to address these in your teaching.
- Check out some of the fake web sites that are mentioned in this chapter or Google "fake web sites" and work with another teacher in the study group to evaluate these and think about how your kids could distinguish these from real sites.
- New learning tools make inquiry even more exciting. Discuss how you might incorporate them into your teaching.
Thanks for a great chat on November 24th. Highlights from meeting:
1) Irene thought that the chart on page 46 & 47 would be an area that she could start working on with her JK/SK. The team agreed that consistent/common language and expectation throughout the school is beneficial.
2) Pete talked about the chart on page 61 – The Steps and Stages of Inquiry. He has been using this model in his classroom and photocopied the pages to remind him of the process.
3) Check out the [ http://www.bie.com ]www.bie.com website for more information on project based learning.
4) A template is attached to assist you in planning a lesson.
5) Danielle will investigate the possibility of ordering the book “The Conversation Club by Diane Stanley. It is out of print but can be purchased on eBay.
Thanks Pete for facilitating the discussion. Our next meeting is December 15th at 2:20 on chapter 5 & 6, with Danielle as facilitator. Thanks
Turns out that reading 4 chapters for a book club discussion is too many! As a result, at our next meeting we will discuss chapter 3 & 4. We will also watch the video clips that are connected to the chapters. Everyone is very interested and excited about continuing the discussion and learning. One important note of discussion was the piece about what research is telling us about teacher talk....American fifth graders are spending 91% of their day either listening to teacher talk OR working alone. One of our participants talked about purchasing a timer to keep herself on track with time. Also, the comprehension continuum chart (p.30) with specific language teachers can use when questioning students was highlighted. We will photocopy the chart for teachers so that they can have it at their fingertips. Our next meeting is on November 24th. It was agreed that we would meet at 2:20. Thanks
2:45- 3:30- Meet in Student Resource room
- Glitch Activity
- Establish Team Norms
- Discuss rotation of group facilitator & establish future meeting dates
- Discuss chapter 1 and watch video clip - Work in small groups
- Discuss chapter 2 & 3 and watch video clip - Create ground rules for collaboration
- Discuss chapter 4
- Sharing on website - www.inquiry-based.com using the book club blog tab- Dialog and discussion
continues on the blog!
Please do not worry if you did not read all the chapters...we want you to be part of our conversation and
you will have the opportunity to continue the conversation online!
Chapter 4 - What We Know About Inquiry
Chapter 3 - What We Know About Collaboration
Chapter 2 - What We Know About Comprehension
Chapter 1- Kids Want to Know
Our first meeting is on November 16th, 2011. We will plan future meetings together so don't forget your calendar!
We will be discussing chapters 1 to 4.